Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What about...

What about a change of plans? How about if the Binghamtonians meet separate from those in Syracuse? (At least for the first meeting...) I'm available to meet this Saturday, about 6ish at B&N in Vestal...

About the book...
Just finished it. Loved it mostly, especially Mattie's voice as the book progresses. Though I was hoping for more details on the murder, I thought it was a great backdrop for Mattie's eventual independence. Wonder what became of her in N.Y., and of Weaver, and her family. Think Royal married Martha? Hmm...just pondering.

Sorry if you read this, and haven't finished the book, but it IS about time to discuss it!

Would YA's like this book, you think? The narrator's voice is great and there are amazingly vivid details as well...but what about the story? Is it accessible or is that limited because of the generation gaps? I think the humor and the narrator are the reader's "in" to the book...

What do YOU think?

Dawn

4 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Mr. Johnston said...

I think I couldn't get through the first 45 pages. Don't get me wrong, but definitely not the ya title for the resistant teen male reader.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sorry Dawn, I can't make the meeting this Saturday night--I have a date!
I think the book is better appreciated by an older teen reader who has experienced any obstacles because of gender. Readers who have not faced any obstacles will find it hard to connect wiht Mattie. Although some young readers may find the cultural references during that time period intriguing, many readers may be turned off by the "olden days" lifestyle.
Nancy

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home