Monday, June 26, 2006

What I've been reading

Thanks to Natalie and Nancy for posting comments! It felt good to see other posts on this blog besides my own.

As for me, I am just finishing my first summer class (paper and final due Tues.), working, and trying to get reading in, while visiting family periodically. After finishing A NORTHERN LIGHT, I read ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING, which I found hilarious, and can't wait to get more from the series...British humor is almost better than American!

Then I moved on to Jonathon Stroud's trilogy THE AMULET OF SAMARKAND, THE GOLEM'S EYE, and PTOLEMY'S GATE, all of which are in the Bartaemous(sp) Trilogy. It was GREAT! I passed it on to one of my co-workers who is a reading fanatic, and she is addicted to it! Glad to know I'm not the only one with that disease!

Then, I (finally) picked up TWILIGHT by Stephenie Meyer, and I could not put it down! (Chrissy, you were SO right about that book!) Yeah, vampires and love. But, Meyer takes such a drastic turn from the typical vampire story...you've got to check it out. Besides, it's at least a trilogy (NEW MOON is out in Sept., and ECLIPSE is out Fall 2007...with more to come, hopefully.). Check out her website at www.stepheniemeyer.com and you can read sneak peeks, and author bios...it's worth the twenty minutes!)...Oh yeah, lent that one to my sister... she's hooked!

Alright, since it was such a talked about book in Ad Lit, I read Joyce Carol Oates' SEXY, and almost found myself yawning in the beginnning. The middle and end picked up, and I liked the intriguing situation with Darren and his friends, and the confusion/dilemma he had about Mr. Tracy, and how totally homophobic high schools can be, but. The ending wasn't that great, without a resolution, and no hope of one since Darren seems to plan on leaving town for the summer to escape. Hmm. What did everyone who read this book think? I wasn't totally impressed.

And then back to sci-fi/fantasy for me. I read Scott Westerfeld's UGLIES, and can't wait for PRETTIES to come in the mail! It was such a good read; it was interesting and played on social stereotypes that got me to thinking about the real society that Westerfeld's commenting on. It is worth reading even if you're not into sci-fi. Check it out!

While I wait for PRETTIES, I'm reading the book I suggested for our next selection, Hartnett's SURRENDER. I'm only a couple of pages in, and I'm waiting for the hook to pull me in. It's not there yet, but the voices are new, with a lot, I mean, A LOT of imagery references weaved into almost every sentence. I'm wondering if she can't just SAY rather than imply the descriptions and such...maybe it'll change in the next hundred or so pages.

Alrighty, later all. I mean, later to the two people besides me reading this blog.

If you want to pick another book for the three of us to read (haha), post it and I will read it with you!

Dawn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home